Is It Safe To Paint Over Black Mold?

We’ve all seen it before. That telltale black spot on the wall or ceiling that indicates the presence of mold. While it may be tempting to simply paint over the mold and hope for the best, this is not advisable. In fact, painting over mold can actually make the problem worse. Keep reading to learn more about why you should avoid painting over mold, as well as some tips for safely removing it.

No, it’s not safe. Here’s why…

Why You Should Avoid Painting Over Mold

Mold spores are present in every indoor environment. However, they only become a problem when they have access to moisture, warmth, and organic materials to feed on. When these conditions are met, mold will begin to grow and spread.

One of the main reasons why you should avoid painting over mold is that doing so will only provide a temporary fix. The paint will eventually crack and peel, providing the perfect surface for mold spores to take hold and begin growing again. In addition, paint does not provide a seal that will prevent moisture from seeping in and fueling the growth of mold.

Another reason to avoid painting over mold is that doing so can actually release harmful toxins into the air. These toxins, known as mycotoxins, can cause a variety of health problems including respiratory issues, headaches, skin irritation, and fatigue. In some cases, mycotoxins have been linked to more serious health problems such as cancer.

Tips For Safely Removing Mold

If you suspect that you have mold growing in your home or office, it’s important to have it professionally removed as soon as possible. In the meantime, there are a few things you can do to prevent the spread of mold:

  • Keep the affected area well-ventilated by opening windows or using fans.
  • Use a HEPA filter to remove mold spores from the air.
  • Wipe down any surfaces in the affected area with a mixture of water and bleach.
  • Avoid carpeting in areas where mold is present.
  • Repair any leaks or other sources of moisture immediately.
  • Invest in a dehumidifier to keep indoor humidity levels low.

Paint Over Mold: Safe Or Not?

If you suspect that you have mold growing in your home or office, don’t make the mistake of painting over it in an effort to cover it up! Not only will this provide only a temporary fix, but it can also be dangerous due to the release of harmful toxins into the air. Instead, follow the tips above to safely remove mold and prevent its spread until professional help can arrive.