Is It Safe To Wash Dishes with Bleach?
You may have heard that washing dishes with bleach is a quick and easy way to get them clean. But is it safe? The short answer is “maybe,” but there are a few things you should know before using bleach on your dishes.
Bleach is a powerful cleaning agent that can kill bacteria and viruses. However, it is also a strong chemical that can irritate your skin and eyes. So, can it clean dishes? Yes, it can. Is it a good idea to clean your dishes with bleach? We’d say no, because there are easier, safer ways to clean dishes.
Why is this? Don’t clean dishes with bleach because it’s strong chemical, it’s not food-safe, it’s a major skin and eye irritant, and it can harm dishes, cleaning implements, and any clothing or rags it comes in contact with.
Even so, bleach is a powerful disinfecting agent, so if you need to clean and disinfect dishes, and you aren’t concerned with the bleach harming the dishes (there are no prints or graphics on them and they aren’t your fine china) then bleach can be used if done with maximum amounts of care.
If You Need To Use Bleach…
When using bleach to wash dishes, be sure to:
- Dilute bleach with water before using it on dishes. A good ratio to use is 1 tablespoon bleach to 1 gallon of water, according to CloroxClorox Bleach: https://www.clorox.com/learn/how-to-sanitize-dishes-with-bleach/
- Wear gloves to protect your hands
- Open windows or doors for ventilation
- No not mix bleach with other cleaners, as this can release harmful chemicals into the air
- Rinse dishes thoroughly with clean water after using bleach
- Keep children and pets away from areas where you are using bleach
- Avoid getting the bleach on your clothes or any sponges or dish rags that aren’t entirely white
Bleach is a powerful cleaning agent that can kill bacteria and viruses, making it a good choice for washing dishes. However, it is also a strong chemical that can irritate your skin and eyes.
When using bleach to wash dishes, be sure to wear gloves and open windows or doors for ventilation. Avoid mixing bleach with other cleaners, dilute it with water, rinse dishes thoroughly after using it, and keep children and pets away from areas where you are using it.
|↑1||Clorox Bleach: https://www.clorox.com/learn/how-to-sanitize-dishes-with-bleach/|